Sunday, January 12, 2014

Whole 30 Week 2 Day 2

Breakfast
Fauxtmeal
1 medium acorn squash, 1/2 can coconut milk, strawberries, and cinnamon.
 I found this recipe at CupcakesOMG and tweaked it a little.
Slice squash in half and scrape out seeds. Lay in casserole dish or roasting pan, flesh-side down. Add water to cover the bottom of the pan. Roast on 400 F for about 30 minutes or until flesh is tender. 
Scrap flesh out of squash and dump into a medium pan. Add 1/2 can coconut milk. Turn burner on to medium heat. Use potato masher to smash up squash.  Add several sprinkles of cinnamon and cook until heated through. 

I made this the night before and simply heated it up the next morning. Once heated up, I added a little cold coconut milk, 4 sliced strawberries, and I sprinkled it with a lot more cinnamon. 


I thought this was pretty good, but not sure if I will make it again or not.  
 
Lunch
BLT Spinach Salad

2 cups fresh spinach, 2 boiled eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 1/2 avocado, 5 grape tomatoes; cut in half, 1/2 can artichoke hearts, 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 c. olive oil, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. 

Mix olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste in a small cup. Set aside. 
Throw spinach into a decent sized salad bowl. Add all other veggies on top. Drizzle with oil and lemon mixture. Sprinkle with crushed pepper if you want an extra little zing. Dig in! 
  
Dinner
Hungarian Beef Stew
2lbs Stew meat, 2 carrots; chopped, 1/2 onion; chopped, 1 green bell pepper; chopped, 4 cloves garlic; minced, 1 can tomato paste, 4 tbsp. smoked paprika, 6 cups beef broth, ghee or coconut oil for sautéing meat. 

Sauté the stew meat in ghee or coconut oil until browned, but not cooked through. Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook for a few more minutes. Add paprika and stir to coat. Add tomato paste and coat everything really well with it. Cook for 3 minutes. Add beef broth. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour. Add sweet potatoes and simmer for another 1-1.5 hours. Serve with a nice salad. 

I feel like this picture doesn't do it any justice. This was REALLY good. I think it'll go in the non-Whole 30 rotation! I actually threw this in a thermos and took it with me to a me he jr. high school cheerleading lock-in with my daughter. It was TOUGH watching everybody else scarf down some of my favorite pizza, but the stew was good enough to take my nose elsewhere. 

2 comments:

  1. this looks and sounds sooo yummy - going to try this with the colder weather coming up :) Do you think this could work as a crock pot meal if kept on low all day? I think I will try this for Thursdays dinner and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely one of the best stews I've ever made. I had actually planned on doing it in the crock pot, but I forgot. Story of my life. lol. Try it out and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete