Sunday, January 12, 2014

Whole 30 Week 2 Day 3

Breakfast
Breakfast Skillet
I got the inspiration for a breakfast skillet here. However, when I woke up on the floor of a jr. high school gymnasium, I had different plans. I had taken an apple and a handful of raw almonds with me for breakfast since I knew everyone else would be eating bagels with cream cheese and drinking OJ. I ate them pretty early and was hungry again when I got home. I really LOVE the egg and sweet potato combo and I was itchin' for some. Instead of shredding the sweet potato, I sliced it VERY thin to sort of mimic chips.
I melted about a tsp. of ghee in a fry pan and added the potato slices so they didn't overlap. I sprinkled them heavily with pepper and lightly with salt. I let them cook on medium for quite some time before flipping. Then, I let them cook until they started to brown just a bit. Be careful because they burn quickly. Once done, lie them on paper towels to drain. Add a little more ghee to the pan and fry two eggs however you like them. I like mine over-medium. I love a runny yolk, but if the whites aren't fully cooked, YUCK! This was fantastic! I liked to dip the "chips" in the egg yolks. This hit the nail on the head with my cravings.
 


  Lunch
Jen's Chicken Salad
Like I had previously mentioned, I am attempting to make meals easier in the coming days. We are eating a lot of chicken, tuna, and egg salads for lunch in the next three weeks. I'm just going to post a link to find them in the blog where I wrote the recipe previously. So, check out Jen's Chicken Salad here

I forgot to cook the chicken ahead of time, so when it was two hours after lunchtime, I decided to have a little snack. I made these little ants on a log. Spread Sunflower Seed butter on a stalk of celery and top with organic raisins. Yum! 
I really have been good about not snacking or really consuming much fruit at all during this Whole 30. I don't know why I've been hungry enough to have an apple with almonds AND celery with sunflower butter today, but I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I didn't end up eating lunch, so there ya go.
 
Dinner
Salmon Patties with Garlic Kale Chips

This is something my son asks for often, but I don't make it too much because the hubs isn't a salmon fan. It's funny though because every time I make them he is surprised that he likes em, and he always goes back for seconds.

4-4oz cans of Wild Atlantic Salmon packed in water, 1/2 cup almond flour, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp. Penzey's Sunny Paris seasoning, or a Whole 30 approved seafood seasoning, 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, Ghee for Sauteeing. 

Throw all ingredients except for ghee in a mixing bowl. Mix with hands or food mixer until everything is well combined.  Form into small patties. Melt Ghee in a pan over medium heat. Saute salmon patties until they start browning on each side. I love to eat mine with lemon aioli AND hot sauce, but the kiddos like paleo ketchup or lemon aioli with them.




 Garlic Kale Chips


 

You can find the recipe here. Just use garlic powder in place of seasoning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment