Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Whole30: Week 1 Day 6

Feelin' a little tired on day 6 over here. At least I had some yummy food today. Still not too sore from X3, but I'm definitely feelin' it a little. 

Breakfast
Sweet and Savory Quiche
I got this recipe from Kate Updates.

9 Eggs, 1/2 lb ground beef, 2 C Spinach, 1/2 Onion, 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder,  1.5 tsp. cinnamon; divided, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small pan over medium heat, saute onions in coconut oil until tender. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Mix in only 1 tsp. of the cinnamon and all of the salt. Then, mix in the cocoa powder. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, remaining cinnamon and the vanilla extract together. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with coconut oil and throw the spinach in. Pour egg mixture onto the spinach. Be sure to wet all of the spinach by stirring and moving it around with the spoon. Finally, pour the meat/onion mixture on top of the eggs. Spread the meat out evenly. Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until the quiche starts to lightly brown on the top. 
 


We really liked this. My oldest daughter kept going to the fridge and grabbing hunks of this out of the dish all day. She just munched it down cold. This is a great pre or post-workout snack, and is great cold out of the fridge. I threw it together while I made last nights dinner, and didn't heat it up before eating it this morning. I love how quick and easy this is! It seriously reminds me of french toast! I will definitely be putting this on the make "again list".
 
Lunch
Jen's Chicken Salad

This is a hard recipe to type up because I really don't use measurements. It actually does end up tasting pretty much the same every time. And every time, the kids fight over it. I can't seem to make a big enough batch. You can add in all sorts of things, or even remove a thing or two and you'll still get a tasty dish here.

4 cooked chicken breasts, 1 apple (I've used both red and green), 1 stalk of celery, 1/2 cup paleo mayo, salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I also add in 1/4 cup or so of chopped pecans, slivered almonds or walnuts.

Chop up chicken, apples, and celery to your desired sizes. Add mayo, salt and pepper and mix well. This is much better if it can sit overnight to let the flavors mingle. 

I seriously don't have a clue how much mayo I use so this is my best guess. I feel like sometimes the chicken can be dry and it needs more mayo. You just kinda have to look at it and see if the mayo coats everything the way YOU want it to. Don't be afraid to play with this recipe a little. Add bacon, grapes, or raw zucchini or take away the apples and add paleo ranch dressing instead of mayo. You really can make it to fit your taste buds.
I ate this with celery sticks as dunkers and a small side salad.
I forgot to take a picture, but I'll post one soon.
  
Dinner 
Paleo Spaghetti Sauce over Spaghetti Squash
 
This is another one of those recipes that I make different each time. The funny thing is, it ends up tasting quite different sometimes. This one was very good and I actually wrote down measurements for once! 

1 onion, 1 tbsp. coconut oil, 1lb. grass fed ground beef, 1 zucchini, 1/2 chopped roasted red peppers, 4-5 cloves garlic, 3 tbsp. Italian seasoning, 1 cup baby bella  mushrooms; sliced and halved,  1 26 oz. box of crushed tomatoes, 1 25 oz. jar of Whole Foods 365 pasta sauce. 

Saute onion in coconut oil until tender. Add zucchini and garlic and stir until garlic is fragrant. Throw in the mushrooms and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning. Saute until the veggies are tender crisp, but not soft. In a separate pot (the large pot you'll end up cooking everything in together), cook beef with a tbsp. Italian seasoning until the meat is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes and the pasta sauce with the last tbsp. Italian seasoning. Dump veggie mixture in with the meat. Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer, stirring occassionally for about 30 minutes. Serve over spaghetti squash.


Roasting spaghetti squash is simple. I normally have my 13 year old take care of this part while I am at karate with my son. 


Just cut the squash in half, and scoop out all the seeds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Prepare  a casserole dish by adding water until about an inch deep. Place squash in dish, flesh side down. Roast on 400 F for about 30 minutes or until tender on the inside. Use a fork to test. Scrape all flesh out of the shell with a fork. It will automatically look similar to spaghetti.




Be sure to look closely at the labels of pasta sauce. This particular one of free of the junk like canola oil,
and soy crap. However, a lot of the other sauces of the same brand do. Check to be sure.
Here are the boxed tomatoes




No comments:

Post a Comment